Tuesday 18 March 2014

Do you want to know a secret?

I feel like I have discovered a secret.

I hope I'm not turning into one of Those Women, but I feel compelled to tell people, to pass the message on.

It's a strange experience, to find a solution to a problem I've had all my life, and it still is rather early days to draw any radical conclusions, but nearly 4 weeks in, I love it.

I thought I'd miss the sugar more than I do. In actual fact, I've hardly even thought about it. Yes, a quick flash of remorse crossed my mind when I realised there would be no Easter egg, and when I encountered a piece of Dairy Milk earlier, for a second I forgot I don't eat it, and there was a twinkle of disappointment when I remembered. But, on the whole, it's been plain sailing on calm seas.

Where I used to run in from work, and attack everything I could get my hands on, now I generally just want a drink. (Tea, cheeky.) If I want a snack I have a little piece of cheese, some olives or nuts, or maybe a piece of toast with butter.

Breakfast is no longer a bowl of cereal at school, and is instead usually an egg, poached, gently fried in a little butter or maybe scrambled with some spinach. Oh, and it is now served at home, with a proper coffee and a side order of cats, rather than wolfed down in five minutes in the company of squawking children. Lunch is a cous cous salad with halloumi, quinoa with chickpeas and spinach, maybe rice with vegatables. I have shunned the school stodge - no more pizza and garlic bread, no lasagne or fajitas. I do still enjoy the proper Indian dishes though - palek paneer, aloo saag with chickpea dahl - which rather goes to show that this sugar problem is new.

It's weigh day again tomorrow, and I really hope that I have lost some weight. If I have, it means it's working. If I have, it's worth keeping on with it, which I hope is the case because I feel brilliant. I'm less tired at the end of the day, more ready to sleep at bed time, more able to read in bed without nodding off. I do still struggle to get up, but I think that's a work thing - I work 70 hours a week so the time between finishing and sleeping is too short to really relax (maybe there's another blog in that!) but even so, I'm not as hungry by break time nor as tired by afternoon.

What I'm really looking forward to is taking measurements, but I think it's too soon - weight update tomorrow.

Nighty night xx

No comments:

Post a Comment